Friday, January 7, 2011

David's Birthday Letter

(This post will most likely be of no interest to anyone but me. :-) )

Dear D,

You came to us 4 years ago on Christmas Eve and instantly brought joy to our lives. Each and every day we thank the Lord for the gift of your life--and you have a lot of life in that body! You have made us smile, crack up and just enjoy things so much more. When you were a toddler you would run around--all the time you would run--and just laugh. Daddy and I said that you were just so happy to be alive. That is how I feel about you today--you just love life.

This year started out rough for you with your food allergies but you were a "super trooper" (that's what you always say). You had so many dr. appointments-some very long-but you always had a smile to give. You had blood drawn for the first time and you still talk about it--you always tell the story about how the dr. wanted your blood and you screamed. I feel that the Lord made you so special and that you have a special task for Him--follow the Lord, D.

You changed in how you interact with our family. We now have conversations about things in life. You want to know about Heaven, God, homeless people, everything. We do our best to satisfy your curiosity. You are an awesome big brother. You show so much kindness and love to your little brother. You and Sugar love to play together and it is so cute when you show her how to do things. When we bring you to school you always come over and give your brother and sister a kiss good-bye. You have a special job of being the first-born and I know that you will be great!

You love to pray. You now pray specific things for the people you care about. I love hearing you ask God to help your friends believe in Jesus. It melts my heart. In the morning we will sometimes read some verses from the Bible and then I try to explain them to you--you listen so intently and often bring up the application throughout the day. The Lord is opening your heart to believe in Jesus and I pray that one day you give your whole life to Him.

You try to be tough but you are very affectionate. When you wake up in the morning you always want me to snuggle you. You will look at me and tell me that you love me a whole bunch. Whenever I ask for a kiss or hug you usually say yes. I know this won't last forever so I will enjoy it while it lasts. I want to remember the days of sitting on the couch all snuggled up and reading a book--I don't ever want to forget.

There are so many more things I could say as you turn 4 but I just want you to know that we love you so much and are so thankful to have you as a part of our family. Happy Birthday!!

Love you buddy!

No comments:

Post a Comment